April 14, 2017
- Cardiologist Tiffany Priester tells four remarkable stories from Africa.
- Young literature evangelists tell stories of God’s hand at work.
- 1) Action Alert for the third anniversary of the Chibok kidnappings 2) Global Mission and Service executive visits Chibok during recent trip to Nigeria 3) Church of the Brethren gives grants to rebuild Nigerian churches 4) Remembering Chibok at Mt. Vernon Nazarene University 5) Carrying the cross without fear: How the Coptic Church in Egypt deals with the constant threat 6) Love feast at Princeton
- For the third year in a row, Kristie Hammond of Olivet Church of the Brethren in Ohio--now a senior at Mt. Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU)--arranged for a social justice speaker to commemorate each passing year of the Chibok abductions. She says she was personally affected by this horrific event because the girls were her age, or younger, and were kidnapped for trying to get a post-secondary education just as she is doing.
- The Church of the Brethren has granted $100,000 to Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) to support the church rebuilding efforts of EYN members. The grants will be given to 20 churches at $5,000 a piece.
- I went to Chibok last week. The security is extremely tight, and there is little space to do much, but I felt compelled to go along with three brothers from Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria): Marcus Gamache, Dr. Yusuf Yokubo, and the district secretary of Chibok. It was partially for my own understanding, partially to encourage EYN, and more specifically, the local Brethren families who continue to live and farm in Chibok.
- Last month, I received an invitation to officiate at a love feast at Princeton Theological Seminary, where I am a visiting scholar. Surprised to learned there would be a love feast at Princeton, I jumped at the chance to help, but discovered the date conflicted with my responsibilities as a trustee at Bridgewater (Va.) College.
April 13, 2017
The Archpastoral Message of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon marking the Great and Holy Pascha is now available. The full text appears below and is available in PDF format. Translations also will be available and posted as they are received.
The Archpastoral Message of His...
VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 4/13/17)—Registration for Church Sponsorship for the 2017 Biennial Mission Summit has been extended. Churches now have until April 30, 2017, to register as Sponsors. When a church is registered as a Sponsor, individuals from the church are able to attend at a discounted rate*, saving at least $100 off the regular rate to register for the Biennial Mission Summit. The church will also be listed on the event website at...
If you live in the Washington, D.C. metro area or have visited, you may have noticed the politically charged message written on the bottom of the District of Columbia license plate.