December 7, 2013
- “Pioneering in a Global Context,” a webinar co-sponsored by the Congregational Life Ministries of the Church of the Brethren, BMS World Mission, Bristol Baptist College, and Urban Expression U.K., takes place Dec. 11 at 2:3-4 p.m. (Eastern). Register at www.brethren.org/webcasts .
[Episcopal News Service] El Comité Permanente de la Diócesis Episcopal de Puerto Rico canceló la elección programada para el 7 de diciembre, según un comunicado publicado en la página web de la diócesis el día 4 de los corrientes.
“Fue una decisión sumamente difícil, pero [la] consideramos necesaria para el bienestar presente y futuro...
- Seventh-day Adventist Church President Ted N. C. Wilson released the following statement regarding the passing of statesman Nelson Mandela:“The global Seventh-day Adventist Church joins the people of South Africa and the world in mourning the loss of Nelson Mandela. His life of forgiveness and reconciliation served as a light in a world that too often lives in the shadow of reprisal, anger and malice.“May all reflect on his important efforts to bring people together in peace. What a joy that we...
- Nathan (Nate) Polzin has been called to serve as district executive minister for Michigan District, and Héctor Pérez-Borges has announced his plans to retire as associate executive for Atlantic Southeast District, in staffing changes for Church of the Brethren districts.
December 6, 2013
- Global Mission and Service staff in North Korea, Robert Shank, reports important strides in the rice, soybean, and corn breeding research at Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST), where he and his wife Linda are teaching. A new crop, barley, has been added to this work in 2014, and a Global Food Crisis Fund grant is helping expand the work to include small fruits.
- Next Friday, Dec. 13, faith groups from around the country are joining together to call on the Senate to pass sensible legislation that will help prevent future acts of gun violence. This call-in day will come just before the anniversary of the horrifying events that occurred last year at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
- On Nov. 22, a judge of the US District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin ruled that the housing allowance that is made available to clergy by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is unconstitutional. The decision has no immediate impact because it is not yet effective, and the ruling is on hold until all appeals are exhausted.
- At the same time that Brethren Disaster Ministries is closing out project sites following Hurricane Irene in Schoharie and Binghamton, N.Y., the program is opening a new project site in Spotswood, N.J. In other disaster relief news, Illinois and Wisconsin District disaster coordinator Rick Koch has called for volunteers to help in the clean up of tornado destruction in Illinois.
How a seemingly inevitable bloody revolution was avoided
December 6, 2013
- Anna Speicher and Cyndi Fecher are completing their employment with Gather ’Round, the Christian education curriculum produced jointly by Brethren Press and MennoMedia. Gather ’Round is in its final year of production and will be available through the summer of 2014. The successor curriculum, Shine, will be available beginning next fall.