January 18, 2017
[Episcopal Church Office of Public Affairs press release] N. Kurt Barnes, treasurer and chief financial officer, announced that the Episcopal Church’ s Economic Justice Loan Committee (EJLC) recently approved five investments in community development financial intermediaries, totaling $1.4 million.
“We are happy to approve new loans with groups like Main...
- His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America has been invited and will attend the 58th Presidential Inauguration, Friday January 20th, 2017, in the Nation’s Capital.
[Anglican Communion News Service] The bishop of Madhya Kerala, Thomas Oommen, has been chosen to be the new moderator of the Church of South India. He was elected by an overwhelming majority at the CSI Synod meeting at Kottayam in the state of Kerala. Thomas had been the deputy moderator. He succeeds Bishop Govada Dyvasiryvadam who is stepping down...
VALLEY FORGE, PA (1/18/17)—Peter and Sarah McCurdy of Ridgeway, New Jersey, began their missionary service in Costa Rica in December 2016. The couple’s four children, ages 7 to 16, are serving with them.
The McCurdys serve at the invitation of American Baptist International Ministries (IM) partner the Federation of Baptists of Costa Rica.
Peter McCurdy’s ministry priorities are spiritual renewal and formation. He serves local pastors, seminary students...
- Lis Van Harten and Cecil Van Niejenhuis have been named as co-directors of Pastor Church Resources, the Christian Reformed Church office that works to provide resources to pastors, church staff, councils, classes, and congregations.
- Not long after getting out of prison, Kurt Flier decided to attend the Sunday service at the church across the street from the halfway house where he was living.
- Millbrook Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Mich., was packed this week with people who came to celebrate the U.S. holiday marking the life and legacy of slain civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- In deciding to leave the European Union last year, a majority of people in Great Britain voted to regain control of their government, said Todd Huizinga, a Calvin College researcher and former U.S. diplomat at the college’s 2017 January Series.
[Lambeth Palace press release] Ahead of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity 2017, which starts Jan. 18, the archbishops of Canterbury and York have issued a joint statement on the 500th anniversary of the Reformation.
Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and Archbishop of York John Sentamu said:
“This year, churches around the world will be marking the great significance of the 500th anniversary of the beginning of the Reformation in Europe,...
- To follow the lead of other U.S. presidents who wrote angry letters that they never sent, Donald Trump might consider having two Twitter accounts — one for saying constructive things and the other for nasty things he can share with his White House staff, said Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin.