August 26, 2015
- Two Church of the Brethren denominational staff have signed on to a letter from Christian leaders to the US Congress, urging approval of the diplomatic agreement with Iran. General secretary Stanley J. Noffsinger and Office of Public Witness director Nathan Hosler are among some 50 Christian leaders who have signed the letter, according to a release from the National Council of Churches and the Friends Committee on National Legislation.
- Prayers have been requested for those in the state of Washington and other areas of the western United States who are affected by wildfires. Late last week, Pacific Northwest District executive Colleen Michael reported that the community of Tonasket, Wash.--where there are two Church of the Brethren congregations--has been affected by mandatory evacuations.
- Tom and Janet Crago, Church of the Brethren volunteers in Nigeria, celebrate their 48th year of marriage at the Annex Office of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria), located in north central Nigeria where they assist the Brethren who relocated from the church’s headquarters at Kwarhi in Adamawa State. The event took place during the morning devotion of the EYN headquarters staff.
Agreement signed after 20 months of violence
August 26, 2015
- Peace Day, Sept. 21, is quickly approaching, and On Earth Peace is urging your congregation to participate in building peace in your community by planning special prayers for peace that week, or including peace-focused prayers in Sunday services on Sept. 20. The Church of the Brethren holds the belief that seeking and standing for peace is the duty of followers of Jesus, holding to verses such as Romans 14:19, “Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual...
- New Covenant Bible Studies from Brethren Press are tailored for small group Bible studies or for adult Sunday school classes. Most recent titles in the series focus attention on the Old Testament books of 1 and 2 Kings, and the New Testament books of 1 and 2 Peter and Jude.
- In this issue: Annual Conference officers and committees meet, SVMC announces “The Gospel of Mark and 21st Century Ministry,” Brethren are invited to a Day of Confession on Sept. 6 called by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, a informational webinar focuses on hunger issue in Congress’ fall agenda, Jonathan Shively to be the main speaker for Virlina District’s “Growing Leaders in New (and Older) Congregations,” several districts are offering special events around their annual...
Registration is open for the Canadian Churches’ Forum's Deepening Understanding for Intercultural Ministry in Saskatoon, January 25-29, 2016.
Applications for the Matthew 25 Grant, sponsored by ABCUSA, are due on Tuesday, September 1, 2015. Applications must be sent with all application materials included, and received by the September 1 deadline. Awards for the Matthew 25 grant are made twice a year, in April and October, with application deadlines of March 1 and September 1. To view the guidelines and download the application form, click here.
Last spring, a...