February 14, 2016
Taiwan Church News
Jan 18 - 24, 2016
The Third Party Alternation Brings Taiwan Into A Brand New Political Era
Reported by Chen Yi-fan and Chen Yi-hsuan
On January 16, Taiwan's election result of the 14th President and Vice President and the 9th round MPs of Legislative Yuan is officially delivered. In a landslide victory of taking 56% majority, Ms Tsai Ing-wen and Mr Chen ...
February 13, 2016
- 1) Sarpiya and Wiltschek top Annual Conference ballot for 2016 2) Spiritual preparation for Annual Conference in Greensboro 3) Four members join the Youth Peace Travel Team for 2016 4) Church of the Brethren signs letter urging federal action to aid Flint 5) Brethren Volunteer Service holds connection dinners in Pennsylvania, Kansas 6) Brethren bits
February 12, 2016
- In this issue: Personnel news from Juniata College, a report from CODE and IAF meetings, prayer requests for an Asamblea in the DR and theological training and a special medical clinic in Haiti, Mutual Kumquat to record music for Shine, an honor for the founder of Circleville Church of the Brethren, Regional Youth Conferences, and more.
- Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS) staff will be visiting and holding “Connection” meal events in McPherson, Kan., on Feb. 28, and in Elizabethtown, Pa., on March 13. These meal events are an opportunity for prospective volunteers, those interested in BVS, and BVS alumni and friends to enjoy food, fellowship, and stories about the volunteer experience.
- In response to the ongoing water crisis in Flint, Mich., the Church of the Brethren and a number of other Christian groups who represent Creation Justice Ministries, the former National Council of Churches Eco-Justice Program, have signed onto a letter praising the charitable actions of faith groups while also urging Congress and the Obama administration to take action to resolve the situation.
- The members of the 2016 Youth Peace Travel Team have been announced. As the team spends time with youth this summer at camps across the denomination, they will teach about peace, justice, and reconciliation, all core values throughout the Church of the Brethren’s 300-plus year history.
- In his Lenten devotional, “Let Us Also Go,” Chris Bowman summons us for a challenging journey that leads through the darkness of Good Friday to the Light of Easter Sunday. It is a good reminder that for Christians to “carry the light” we must also prepare ourselves with confession, prayer, and discipline that acknowledges the darkness that surrounds us and, at times, occupies us.
British Broadcasting Company and Public Broadcasting Service will air interviews with His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon on the widely publicized meeting between Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow at Havana’s José Martí International Airport today—February 12, 2016.
BBC’s World News America will air a live interview with Metropolitan Tikhon at 6:15 p.m. Eastern time this evening, while an interview taped earlier today in Washington, DC earlier will...
- Some United Methodists believe the Pension Board went too far in telling central conference delegates how to vote on General Conference petitions.