November 26, 2014
Brothers and sisters most studies have indicated that mostly women are more vulnerable to gender violence than men. Generally everywhere in the all world statistics have shown us that indeed women are at the high rate than men. However, the question is what makes women so vulnerable? To answer this question others have said that, it is because men think that they have all the powers to control women in all aspect of life. While some men think that the wife deserves to be beaten because that...
November 25, 2014
[Episcopal Diocese of California] The following is a statement from the Rt. Rev. Marc Handley Andrus, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of California. It is available online here.
I learned with disappointment and not a little surprise last night’s decision of the grand jury to not indict Office Darren Wilson in the...
- 1) Brethren Disaster Ministries surpasses goal of Sandy recovery grant from Red Cross 2) EYN Compassion Fund has distributed more than $200,000 to aid Nigerian Brethren 3) Musa Mambula speaking tour to extend into mid-January 4) Global Food Crisis Fund grant supports agriculture training in east Africa RESOURCES 5) Advent worship resources are online for the 2014 Advent offering 6) Brethren bits
- A Hurricane Sandy recovery grant that Brethren Disaster Ministries was awarded last year from the American Red Cross (ARC) provided the financial backing needed to expand Brethren Disaster Ministries’ efforts in New Jersey from one project in Toms River to a second project based in Spotswood.
- Since a special appeal for the Nigeria crisis at the 2014 Annual Conference in early July, giving to the EYN Compassion Fund topped $168,459, according to the Church of the Brethren finance office. That amount is in addition to the $120,210.45 collected in the first half of this year.
- Nigerian Brethren church leader Musa Mambula has begun a speaking tour in the Pennsylvania area, giving presentations at a variety of Church of the Brethren congregations. His list of speaking engagements extends through December and into January. His presentations focus on the persecution of Christians by Boko Haram terrorists in northern Nigeria and the church’s response.
- An allocation of $4,300 from the Global Food Crisis Fund (GFCF) has been given to support the attendance of six people at an agriculture training event in Kenya. The training is being provided by Care of Creation, Kenya (CCK), a former GFCF grant recipient.
- This quote from an invocation prayer written by Tim Harvey for the 2014 Advent offering in the Church of the Brethren provides a sample of the free Advent worship materials that are now available online.