January 20, 2017
During the first 100 hours of the new administration, people of faith are showing their love for the Earth, and their commitment to people, their planet and their communities.
- Remembering Terry L. Shumaker, job openings, Church of the Brethren General Offices hosts MLK Day food drive, BVS gets recognition as a service program that “changes the world,” Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, dates for this year’s Meat Canning Project, new peacemaking infographic website from Elizabethtown College, lots of news from congregations, and more.
- As disciples of Jesus, we have been working out what those words mean. How do I love God with all of my heart, soul, and mind? Who is my neighbor and how do I love them as I love myself--not just in theory, but in practice? Am I ready to receive, as well as give, in relationship with “my neighbors”?
- Kelsey Murray of Lancaster (Pa.) Church of the Brethren will serve as coordinator for the 2018 National Youth Conference (NYC). Murray is a 2014 graduate of Bridgewater (Va.) College, where she studied art with concentrations in ceramics, graphic design, and photography. As NYC coordinator, she will provide vision and leadership for the event, which she will plan with the National Youth Cabinet.
- Since the beginning of operations at Shepherd’s Spring Outdoor Ministry and Retreat Center in Mid-Atlantic District, there has been a focus on hospitality and spirituality. A year ago, it was decided to take this a step further. Several spiritual directors, board members, and staff met to discuss ways we can open the facility to a deeper spiritual awareness.
- Brethren Disaster Ministries has directed a grant of $50,000 from the Church of the Brethren’s Emergency Disaster Fund (EDF) to support the next phase of response to devastation in Haiti caused by Hurricane Matthew. The storm hit the island on Oct. 4, 2016, as a powerful category 4 hurricane, causing widespread damage and considerable losses, and up to 1,600 deaths.
- Partnership in prayer is requested Jan. 22-27 as the Council of District Executives, the Church of the Brethren Leadership Team, and the Inter-Agency Forum hold their annual January meetings.
- His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America invited by the Presidential Inauguration Committee and representing the Greek Orthodox Church in America, attended early this morning the special Inauguration Day Prayer Service at St John’s Episcopal Church in Washington’s Lafayette Square. President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, together with their families and a select group of guests were in attendance.
- Heads of mission for US religious institutions visited Cuba from Jan. 9-13, and met with key religious and political leaders to discuss the relationship between Cuba and the United States and the role the institution church can have in improving that relationship. As executive director of Global Mission and Service, I joined the delegation on behalf of the Church of the Brethren.