October 3, 2015
[Episcopal News Service – Seoul, South Korea] Korean Anglicans welcomed friends from across the communion Oct. 3 as they celebrated 125 years of ministry based in inculturation, mission and evangelism.
The festive Eucharist at the Cathedral of St. Mary and St. Nicholas in downtown Seoul drew an overflow crowd. Many people sat on blue stools in the...
- Newsline for Oct. 2, 2015
- Brethren bits for Oct. 2, 2015
- Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) is offering a workshop to train volunteers on Friday, Oct. 30, at 5 p.m., to Saturday, Oct. 31, at 7:30 p.m., at Frederick Church of the Brethren, 201 Fairview Avenue, Frederick, Md.
- “The Gospel of Mark and 21st Century Ministry” is the theme of a continuing education event sponsored by the Susquehanna Valley Ministry Center and held on the campus of Juniata College in Huntingdon, Pa.. The event is planned for Monday, Nov. 9, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the college’s Von Liebig Center.
- Basic costs for the 2016 Annual Conference of the Church of the Brethren, to be held in Greensboro, N.C., have been shared by the Conference Office. “Program and Arrangements Committee met and decided to make no increases in registration costs for delegates or non-delegates,” reported Conference director Chris Douglas.
- We lined up two by two in rows on Liberty Street in Manhattan to enter onto the Foot Prints grounds where the Twin Towers had once stood. In the line were the families of survivors and those like myself, representatives of our faith communities. As the line began to move you first hear the sounds of the water flowing, and then all eyes beheld the sight of the mighty pool of never-ending, streaming waters.
- As the crowd cheered Jesus on Palm Sunday, the Pharisees told him to quiet the crowd. Jesus responded, “If they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” Later Jesus wept over the city of Jerusalem and its future destruction, saying, “They will not leave one stone on another.” These are two opposing references to stones in Luke 19; one of celebration and acknowledgement of Christ, the second of destruction for those who did not recognize him.
October 2, 2015
In a time of change and uncertainty, the Texas-based mid council votes to invest in the future of the church
October 2, 2015