December 21, 2013
- Christmas lunch on Jesus hampers are distributed for free in Barnet. This year with an added gift CD from Jesus House choir and gospel artists.
December 20, 2013
- 1) A passion for teaching God’s word: Interview with mission workers Carl and Roxane Hill; 2) Brethren attend ECHO Caribbean conference in the DR, GFCF manager assesses situation of Haitian Dominicans; 3) Dominican Republic court ruling from the international perspective; 4) Brethren Academy issues updated course listing; 5) Brethren Press announces curriculum resources for 2014; 6) Feature: Deacon Ministry reminds churches to welcome new friends this holiday season; 7) Brethren bits
- Things were a little sparse in the primary Sunday school class the weekend after Thanksgiving. Only two little girls were there, one of them a visitor. Elbow-deep in the glitter and glue of the construction paper Advent wreathes they were making, the visiting kindergartner smiled at the other and said, "Wanna make friends?"
- Brethren Press has announced curriculum resources for the coming year. In the spring, the Christian education curriculum Gather ’Round is offered for children and youth classes, and A Guide for Biblical Studies for adult classes and small group Bible studies. In the summer, Gather ’Round offers a quarter for multi-age groups of children and for youth, and a Vacation Bible School package is available. In the fall, Brethren Press and MennoMedia will roll out Shine: Living in God’s Light, the...
- The Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership has issued an updated listing of courses to be offered. Courses are open to Training in Ministry (TRIM) students, pastors who may earn 2 continuing education units per course, and all interested persons.
- By Doris Abdullah, Church of the Brethren representative to the United Nations: The Sept. 25 Dominican Republic court ruling denies Dominican nationality to children of undocumented migrants who have been born or registered in the country after 1929 and who do not have at least one parent of Dominican blood. This comes under a 2010 constitutional clause declaring these people to be either in the country illegally or in transit.
- Brethren representatives from the Dominican Republic and the United States were part of an ECHO Caribbean conference this fall, including Jeff Boshart, manager of the Church of the Brethren’s Global Food Crisis Fund (GFCF).
- An interview with Church of the Brethren mission workers Carl and Roxane Hill by Zakariya Musa of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN--the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria)
- In this issue: A note on year-end donations, a date correction, remembering Larry Ulrich, Sarah Thompson to lead CPT, Material Resources seeks an office assistant, Bethany Seminary seeks a project director related to a Lilly grant, mission staff watch situation in South Sudan, registration for NYC and Clergy Women’s Retreat, and much more.