May 23, 2015
May 22, 2015
- Aline Rodrigues was devastated. Her husband Rodrigo lay in a hospital bed in Piraquara, Brazil with a three percent chance of survival.
The Mission Summit Conversations are the heart of the Mission Summit! The conversations present an open opportunity for anyone attending the Biennial Mission Summit to engage in meaningful dialogue about a topic of interest by self-selecting into a small group. Two rounds of Mission Summit Conversations will be held at the 2015 Biennial Mission Summit, coming up June 26-28 in Overland Park, Kansas.
The Mission Summit Conversations are an open opportunity for anyone attending Mission Summit 2015 to engage in meaningful dialogue about a topic of interest by self-selecting into a small group. The Mission Summit Conversations are the heart of the Mission Summit.
Topics for Mission Summit 2015: *Denotes a new conversation for 2015
Citing "social, political and judicial changes taking place in our country" regarding sexual orientation, Robert Gates, the president of the Boy Scouts of America, called for the organization to end its ban on gay adults at the organization's national business meeting Thursday, May 21. The Rev. Mike Schuenemeyer, the UCC's executive for heath and wholeness advocacy and the national staff liaison to the BSA, applauded Gates' proactive leadership.
- Thousands of Reform Jews will Gather in Florida for the URJ's 73rd Biennial, November 2015
- In a setback to long-term peace prospects in former CRC mission areas in Nigeria, the visit by Hizikias Assefa, a well-respected Mennonite peace mediator, to the town of Wukari, Nigeria — the scene of violence over the last year — had to be cancelled due to further conflict in the area, says Peter Vander Meulen, coordinator of the CRC’s Office of Social Justice.
- An Interview with Gordon Darragh, Associate Pastor of Windsor Baptist Church, Belfast, a church looking for something that Asians could relate to.
- I confess that I’ve always been a bit dubious about honouring saints. And not just on the kind of theological grounds that made such an impact at the Reformation.....But, despite all that, on May 23, I will be marking the day that Oscar Romero is honoured. I shall be cheering because here was someone who was not a great heroic self, but was someone who really did come to represent his people, and whose memory and inspiration still live in El Salvador....