May 21, 2016
Taiwan Church News
April 18 - 24, 2016
Dr William Sia, Taiwan's Albert Schweitzer, Is Commemorated At His Centenary Birthday
Reported by Lin Yi-yin
If Dr William Sia, whose birthday was 2 March 1916, is still alive today, he should be a centenarian. Lived only with a short life-span, though, he was 55-years-old when he died in a car accident during a medical service trip...
May 20, 2016
- Israel-related amendment on socially responsibility investing fails, but General Conference supports advocacy letter for Palestinian village.
- A piece of legislation at the 2016 General Conference is calling for the United Methodist Church to advocate for the improvement of health care in the United States.
- The last day of General Conference 2016 began with passing a budget, ended trying to beat the clock.
- Circling the plenary floor, clergy, advocates and allies of queer people offer support to each other as global gathering ends.
- Delegates favor having pension board engage with companies on climate change.
- An historic gathering for the Orthodox Christian Churches, the first of its kind in 1200 years, is being supported with both digital communications and a multilingual team of experts.
- Delegates voted to increase budget to boost support of United Methodist theological education in Africa, Asia and Europe.
- General Conference 2016 had requested a review of constitutional paragraphs and past Judicial Council decisions for potential conflict.