August 20, 2015
- In this issue: Remembering Harold Mack, Youth Peace Travel Team finishes up its summer, cook needed for Zigler Hospitality Center, Mission Offering resources are available, Nov. 1 is National Jr. High Sunday, National Young Adult Conference is announced for 2016, the Taize Community celebrates 75 years, Mason Cove Church and Bassett Church celebrate their 90th anniversaries, CPT issues a plea for aid for migrants in Greece, and much, much more.
- The EYN Crisis Management Team of Ekklesiyar Yan'uwa a Nigeria (the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) has been very busy with food distributions. In the last few weeks, your donations have provided food for more than 988 families (about 6,000 individuals). Food was distributed to three remote districts that had never received help because they were still in dangerous and unsafe areas.
Helping those victimized by violence at forefront of peacemaker’s mission
August 20, 2015
- Brethren Disaster Ministries has begun a new partnership for a Disaster Recovery Support Initiative, joining in with disaster programs of other Christian denominations. The ministry has requested an allocation of $5,000 from the Emergency Disaster Fund (EDF) to help fund this pilot program to more quickly and effectively support the formation of Long Term Recovery Groups (LTRGs) in communities affected by disaster.
- Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) is offering three additional volunteer training workshops this fall and winter. CDS is a ministry of the Church of the Brethren and part of Brethren Disaster Ministries. For online registration and a list of previously announced trainings go to www.brethren.org/cds/training/dates.html .
- Believers Church Bible Commentaries: accessible to lay readers, useful in preaching and pastoral care, helpful for Bible studies and Sunday school, and academically sound. This commentary series offers a unique Anabaptist reading of scripture. For all who seek more fully to understand the original message of scripture and its meaning today, the series is based on the conviction that God is still speaking to all who will listen, and that the Holy Spirit makes the Word a living and authoritative...
- The 2015 Advent Devotional from Brethren Press, “In the Fullness of Time,” is written by Anita Hooley Yoder. It focuses readers’ attention on the birth of Jesus Christ as a gift from God “when the fullness of time had come” (Galatians 4:4).
- Creation of a new ministers’ manual for the Church of the Brethren is underway, and the planning committee is seeking submissions for the manual. “For All Who Minister,” the current manual, was published in 1993, and much has happened to the ways in which we understand and participate in ministry since that time.
- Save the dates for the next church planting event offered by the Congregational Life Ministries of the Church of the Brethren. The event is planned for May 19-21, 2016, in Richmond, Ind., hosted in part at Bethany Theological Seminary.
- Carolyn A. Pieratt Schrock has announced her retirement as executive minister of the Church of the Brethren’s Missouri and Arkansas District, effective Dec. 31. She has served as district executive minister for almost eight years, since Jan. 1, 2008.