February 7, 2017
[Anglican Communion News Service] Archbishop of Cape Town Thabo Makgoba has said the problem of water supply and sanitation illustrates why South Africa “is one of the most unequal countries in the world.” The archbishop also described the problem of drought as one of the biggest risks facing South Africa’s businesses – causing food shortages, price increases and the loss of jobs for casual workers.
- B’nai B’rith International is dismayed by President Donald J. Trump’s plan to repeal the Johnson Amendment.
The Johnson Amendment, sponsored in 1954 by then-Senator Lyndon B. Johnson and signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, prohibits any 501(c)(3) organization (churches, synagogues, mosques, nonprofits) from endorsing or opposing any political candidate for office. Endorsing or opposing a candidate will result in the loss of...
- Robin Freeman, left, SVOTS Director of Music, coaching students in chapel [Photo: Adrienne Soper].
Saint Vladimir’s Seminary [SVOTS] recently launched a program that offers training for readers, choir conductors, and choir members in local parish settings. Called “Revitalizing Parish Music,” the program creates tailor-made solutions to typical...
- The Department of Inter-Orthodox, Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is inviting graduate and recent post-graduate students to apply for its fellowships at the United Nations.
[Canticle Communications] Episcopal dioceses, parishes and institutions take pains to invest their money in ways that advance their gospel-centered values, and two major church organizations are doing so through recently-launched fossil fuel-free portfolio options from Church Investment Group (CIG).
The Diocese of New York and All Saints Episcopal Church in...
- From cell group to mission to church, the goal of the Methodist Church in Cuba is to make each member an evangelist.
- Lourdes Vazquez worked for 20 years in Cuba’s renowned health system but gave up her job, her home and proximity to her children and grandchildren to serve God.
Taiwan Church News
January 23 - 29, 2017
Tsai Administration's Constitutional Reform Suspected As Empty Words
Reported by Chiu Kuo-rong
As there is not any sign of a possible reformation of Taiwan's constitution six months after Tsai Administration's sworn into the Presidential Office, some civil groups started to put President Tsai's promise to launch a constitutional reform...
February 6, 2017
- B’nai B’rith International President Gary P. Saltzman and CEO Daniel S. Mariaschin have issued the following statement:
B’nai B’rith International is appalled that the New York State Education Department used an anti-Israel cartoon on a New York State Regents exam. The test was administered on Jan. 24. According to the New York Post, the cartoon depicts three Israeli soldiers, one with a Star of David on his...
- PARATHOSI 2017, the annual celebration of Hellenic Heritage & Dance of the Direct Archdiocesan District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, now in its fifth year, is expected to host about 30 dance groups, Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 at Lefrak Concert Hall at Queens College.