March 18, 2017
- Job openings, personnel, new dates for Nigeria workcamp, next webinars on “Mental Health” and “What Have the Children Done for Us?” new Brethren Disaster Ministries video, remembrance and celebration weekend at Brethren Service Center, annual assembly of the Brazilian Brethren, Office of Public Witness blogpost on indigenous opposition to pipeline, and more news by, for, and about Brethren
March 17, 2017
- More than 40 leaders from Christian Churches Together (CCT) joined a forum in Newark, N.J., on March 2-3 to discuss the ongoing persecution of Christians around the globe. I was invited to speak on behalf of the Church of the Brethren regarding the impact of Boko Haram on the Christian community in Nigeria.
March 7, 2017
[Anglican Communion News Service] The start of Lent saw the beginning of a new international campaign – Renew Our World – in which tens of thousands of Christians from six countries will join together in prayer and action to try to tackle climate change.
Renew Our World is campaigning for clean renewable energy and sustainable agriculture for the world’s poorest communities. The...
February 22, 2017
Conflict in Nigeria, South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen has created life-threatening food insecurity. In parts of north-central South Sudan, famine has been declared.
February 18, 2017
- NEWS 1) Children’s Disaster Services sends team to aid evacuees in northern California 2) Global Food Initiative supports soybean consultation in Africa, community garden in Illinois 3) Nigeria Crisis Response volunteers visit rebuilt church, IDP camp in Maiduguri 4) EYN disaster ministry conducts Hepatitis B screening, aids Bdagu refugees UPCOMING EVENTS 5) General secretary continues to hold listening sessions 6) Global Mission and Service offers more Nigeria workcamps PERSONNEL 7) Brethren...
- Following the EYN president’s statement declaring a state of emergency on health, the Disaster Relief Ministry of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) moved to conduct Hepatitis B screening starting with staff and students of Kulp Bible College in Kwarhi.
- More Nigeria workcamp opportunities have been announced by the Global Mission and Service office of the Church of the Brethren. American Brethren and others who are interested in joining in a workcamp with members of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) are invited to consider one of two workcamps to be held in April and August.
- On Feb. 9, John and I visited the Wulari EYN Maiduguri church of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) in the large northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri. We met the EYN HIV/AIDS Project staff, and met the new pastor Joseph T. Kwaha. The church was rebuilt in 2015 after it was bombed by Boko Haram and totally destroyed in June 2009. We also visited the EYN IDP camp of 8,000 displaced persons located nearby on an old church compound.
- With a grant of $2,500, the Church of the Brethren Global Food Initiative (GFI) is supporting a soybean consultation and exchange visit between Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) and Church Aid Inc. in Liberia. Another recent grant of $1,000 supports a community gardening initiative of Rockford (Ill.) Community Church of the Brethren.
February 14, 2017
- Village attacks leave 15 people dead and more than 7,000 displaced, many of whom are United Methodists.