April 5, 2013
- “We give thanks to God for the adoption of the world's first Arms Trade Treaty and for the efforts by a large majority of countries and many civil society groups to bring it into existence,” said an April 3 public statement by World Council of Churches (WCC) general secretary Olav Fykse Tveit.
- During the last week of March, 55 Church of the Brethren youth and advisors joined forces to learn more about the issue of childhood poverty at this year's Christian Citizenship Seminar. CCS is a week-long event sponsored by the denomination's Youth and Young Adult Ministries and Office of Public Witness (formerly Peace Witness Ministries) based in Washington, D.C.
April 4, 2013
- The Children's Aid Society of Southern Pennsylvania District is marking April as Child Abuse Prevention Month and also its 100th birthday. The society was started on April 9, 1913. To mark the occasion, the Children's Aid Society is holding a benefit event with Wm. Paul Young, author of "The Shack."
- The Advisory Board of the Brethren Journal Association, in partnership with Bethany Theological Seminary, announces that Denise Kettering-Lane has been named the new editor for "Brethren Life and Thought."
- Development of a new Sunday school curriculum called Shine is underway by Brethren Press and MennoMedia. This month writers are beginning to prepare the first quarter of Shine: Living in God’s Light, which will be available for use in fall 2014.
March 21, 2013
- 1) New Brethren Academy program receives funding from Wieand trust. 2) Estate gift funds new educational opportunities at Bethany Seminary. 3) More Brethren agencies express support for resolution on drones. 4) On Earth Peace board and staff participate in anti-racism training. 5) Brethren Disaster Ministries names advisory group, seeks input to survey. 6) BVS Unit 300 completes orientation. 7) ‘Something must change’: Harrisburg, Pa., pastor reports on efforts against gun violence. 8) Bus...
- Remembering James Forbus and Herbert Michael, a music video from Bittersweet, Child Abuse Prevention Month, workcamp in South Sudan, fracking, and more.
- More than 700 people already have responded to a new online survey about the work of Brethren Disaster Ministries. “We want your feedback!” said an announcement of the survey from Brethren Disaster Ministries and Children’s Disaster Services. Take the survey at www.brethren.org/BDMsurvey .
- The Harrisburg (Pa.) Chapter of Heeding God’s Call continues to operate on the premise that “Something Must Change.” Heeding God’s Call is a faith-based movement to prevent gun violence. The organization got its start at a meeting of the Historic Peace Churches in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Ten years after the US invasion of Iraq, Christian Peacemaker Teams, together with uncounted Iraqi families, laments the carnage that continues to echo from that moment.