June 29, 2016
- An overview of the first day of the 2016 Annual Conference held in Greensboro, N.C.
June 28, 2016
- In today’s meetings of Standing Committee, two queries--“Continuing the Study of Our Christian Responsibility to Care for God’s Creation” and “Living Together as Christ Calls”--were acted on, and received recommendations.
June 27, 2016
- The Standing Committee of district delegates has made a recommendation to refer two queries about On Earth Peace to the Review and Evaluation Committee. The recommendation begins by “recognizing that the Review and Evaluation Committee has the responsibility to consider the balance and unity of the agencies,” and will be shared with the delegate body when the two queries come to the Annual Conference business session later this week.
- This morning in Greensboro, N.C., the Standing Committee of district delegates to the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference voted on a response to Query: Same Sex Weddings.
June 24, 2016
- 1) On Earth Peace issues response to queries coming to Annual Conference 2) Global Food Initiative announces new name for continuing program, new gardening grants 3) Children’s Disaster Services sends third team to Houston, Orlando team completes service 4) Brethren bits
- Global Food Initiative (GFI) has been announced as the new name for the Global Food Crisis Fund (GFCF). The program of the former GFCF continues under the new name, and with a new logo and a redesigned website.
- “We have another team headed out to Houston, Texas, this week, third one this summer,” reports Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) associate director Kathleen Fry-Miller. “I know the people there are getting very weary of all the flooding and water. I’m so grateful that we have volunteers willing to go.”
- In this issue: Former general secretary of the Church of the Brethren named to staff of the World Council of Churches, Bethany Seminary hires admissions counselor, Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center seeks executive director, BHLA celebrates 200-year legacy of James Quinter, congregations celebrate anniversaries, and more news by, for, and about Brethren.
June 18, 2016
- 1) Reflecting the face of God that we see in Jesus: Annual Conference moderator issues letter to the church 2) CDS team cares for children, offers a supportive presence in Orlando 3) Scott Kinnick to serve as executive minister for Southeastern District 4) Brethren bits
June 17, 2016
- Our Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) Orlando team has reported that they feel they are at the right place to offer support. The team is serving in the Family Assistance Center (FAC) that was set up starting Wednesday for families of those who were killed early Sunday morning and for survivors and their families.