March 7, 2014
- Chaplains from five of the six Church of the Brethren-affiliated colleges and universities and Tracy Primozich, director of admissions for Bethany Theological Seminary, met Feb. 19 in Tacoma, Wash., following the National Association of College and University Chaplains (NACUC) annual conference.
March 4, 2014
- 1) On Earth Peace co-sponsors new Stop Recruiting Kids Campaign. 2) Bethany Seminary announces results of essay contest. 3) Applications are due soon for nursing scholarships. 4) Workbook on physical loss and disability is published in Vietnam. 5) The building of a shared society: The work of one BVS project site in Northern Ireland. 6) Brethren bits
- East Belfast Mission, one of the project sites in Northern Ireland where Brethren Volunteer Service workers are placed, was in the news early this year when a peacebuilding event it hosted was met with violent protests. Here, BVS volunteer Megan Miller explains the groundbreaking work of the mission.
- Northern Ohio District loss, job openings, early registration for church planting conference, Shine training, Gun Violence Prevention Sabbath, ecumenical calls for peace with Iran and in the Ukraine, Lent initiatives and resources, and much more.
- On Sept. 3, 2013, the Ho Chi Minh City University of Social Sciences and Humanities (USSH) Faculty of Social Work received boxes containing the first 1,000 copies of the Vietnamese translation of “Coping with Physical Loss and Disability Workbook,” written by Rick Ritter, M.S.W., who has been part of Lincolnshire Church of the Brethren in Indiana. The book was published by Youth Publisher, Ho Chi Minh City.
- The Church of the Brethren awards a limited number of scholarships each year to individuals enrolled in a nursing program. Candidates for the scholarships must be enrolled in an LPN, RN, or nursing graduate program and must be members of the Church of the Brethren. The scholarships are awarded from the Health Education and Research Endowment.
February 25, 2014
- 1) Brethren Disaster Ministries makes assessment visit to the Philippines. 2) On Earth Peace celebrates 40 years with conversations between ‘spirited peacemakers’. 3) Bethany Seminary hosts speakers on peace and justice. 4) Building peace in Washington at the Ecumenical Advocacy Days. 5) National Council of Churches plans Christian Unity Gathering. 6) ‘Guide for Biblical Studies’ studies Jesus' fulfillment of scripture. 7) Tita Grace’s tiled floor: One family’s story of Typhoon Haiyan. 8) 'I...
- A visit to the Philippines from Jan. 18-28 to evaluate the current state of the response to Typhoon Haiyan was made by Roy Winter, associate executive director of Global Mission and Service and Brethren Disaster Ministries--part of the Church of the Brethren response following the destruction caused by Typhoon Haiyan last November. Brethren Disaster Ministries is using the information gained to identify local partners and how the Brethren may best contribute to ecumenical relief and recovery...
- Two women known for their work toward peace, justice, and human rights spoke during the month of February at Bethany Seminary's Peace Forum, a weekly lunch gathering that highlights issues of peace and social justice through a variety of speakers and program formats.
- The National Council of Churches (NCC) is planning a Christian Unity Gathering for May 18-20, at the Hilton hotel at Washington Dulles Airport near Washington, D.C.