June 18, 2015
- The story of Bruce Jenner’s journey to become Caitlin Jenner has recently dominated media headlines. Strong reactions for and against have been expressed by groups as disparate as faith groups and feminists, however judging by the burgeoning number of social media followers, the overwhelming response has been supportive.
- There’s never a dull news week in Northern Ireland and the past seven days were no exception. So rather than focus on one area of policy for PQ this month, here’s a brief update across four areas where some strong words have been uttered this week and where we strive to be a distinctive salt and light presence.
- Assisted suicide is back on the table. This time in the House of Commons. Labour MP Rob Marris topped the ballot for private members’ bills and chose to bring forward an Assisted Dying Bill based largely on Lord Falconer’s bill. Falconer’s bill sought to grant physician-assisted suicide for mentally competent terminally ill adults who have six months or less to live. Due to time constraints, Falconer’s bill didn’t complete its passage through the last parliament. The Evangelical Alliance...
- The Mahabba Network, which equips churches and individuals in the UK to love their Muslim neighbours and build communities, tells us more about their work through Ramadan.
June 17, 2015
- Thousands of Christians are joining others of all faiths and none today for a climate change lobby at Westminster to share their concerns on the damaging effects of climate change. The event comes as a Tearfund survey reveals Christians believe environmental and climate change problems is the biggest challenge facing the world over the next 10 years
- This week saw the Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Bill go back to committee as it reached Stage 2 of the Holyrood parliamentary process. This, of course, was following the unanimous support the Bill received at the recent Stage 1 parliamentary vote. Stage 2 is as important in the Scottish Parliament system as the first stage, it's where detailed amendments can be submitted to the legislation and so the committee spent most of Tuesday morning considering a vast number of...
June 16, 2015
- A new study has revealed one in nine of the six million UK adults that attend church each month sponsor a child in the developing world.
June 15, 2015
- Today is the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, and Christians are being reminded about the important role the Church played in ensuring these liberties.
June 14, 2015
- More Christians give more blood than the general population, claims new research released today by the fleshandblood campaign. According to the figures, close to 10 per cent of Christians gave blood in 2014, compared to around four per cent of the general population who have given blood in the last two years. But much more is needed, say campaigners.
June 12, 2015
- It may have escaped your attention, but Monday, 15 June is the date we will be celebrating the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta. Recently, there have been a rash of TV documentaries on the subject, special reports in the newspapers and on the radio, and a focus in schools.