July 24, 2014
- Ann Clifford writes about the arts. "It’s too easy to get carried along by the TV series of the moment and fail to see the underlying intent of the creators. What is needed is a fresh outpouring of God’s creativity in the arts.
- The Commonwealth Games 2014 opened yesterday. Twelve major denominations and 35 ministries in Scotland are working together as More Than Gold 2014 during the Games. From its conception at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games the More Than Gold brand has been successfully used by host city churches at all major sporting events. Now, this year the baton has passed to Glasgow.
July 23, 2014
- Youth charity and Alliance member XLP held their arts showcase grand final at the beginning of this month - their biggest event of the year. The winner was Kimarne Henry.
July 19, 2014
- Leaders of Christian organisations and churches, representing hundreds of thousands of evangelical Christians, want David Cameron to increase his political influence to end the practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) in Africa.
July 18, 2014
- Cameron’s Cabinet reshuffle has been all over the news this week. This one has been dominated by the exchange of the ‘white middle-aged men’ in favour of a new generation of female Tory MPs. And, of course, the removal of education secretary Michael Gove from his post, which has propelled many teachers into celebration.
July 17, 2014
- It seems there is no end to the sad stream of stories emerging across the UK and Ireland about institutional child sexual abuse. In the last few years systematic abuse has been uncovered across religious, public and private bodies.
- Ahead of the House of Lords debate on Lord Falconer's assisted dying bill Christians speak out against former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey's change in position.
- This modern slavery bill is the result of many thousands of voices calling for an end to slavery and trafficking in the UK. It is hugely encouraging that the government listened and that this vital piece of law is progressing.
- The evening news on Friday June 20th included a chilling report of an online promotional video by the Muslim jihadist group ISIS in which a young person with a British accent talked about his desire to recruit other young Muslims to the cause.
- Lady Hale gave a speech to the Law Society of Ireland in June in which she questioned whether existing law has got the balance right between religion and belief rights and other human rights.