October 22, 2014
- Please see this report as gratitude for the opportunity to be part of the first Latino meeting organized by Christian Churches Together on Oct. 14-16. I felt humbly privileged by the opportunity to spend time with the directors of Latino Ministry of several denominations, among them: Catholics Pentecostals, American Reformed, Evangelical Lutheran Church, Presbyterian, American Baptist, Disciples of Christ, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, and of course the Church of the Brethren.
- Recent grants to support agriculture in Haiti and Burundi from the Church of the Brethren’s Global Food Crisis Fund (GFCF) total $40,000.
- Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS) Unit 307 has completed its orientation and the volunteers have been placed at their projects. This Fall unit held orientation on Sept. 28-Oct. 17 at the Brethren Service Center in New Windsor, Md. The volunteers, their home congregations or hometowns, and project placements follow:
Civil Discourse in America: Finding Common Ground for the Greater Good
Christ Church, Philadelphia
22 October 2014
The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church
The arts of politics and civic discourse are central to the ways in which human beings work to build societies of justice and peace. That goal is shared by many people of faith as well as...
- Mandy Garcia has resigned as associate director of donor communications for the Church of the Brethren. Her last day in this position will be Nov. 14.
- Join us for a webinar for a Faith Perspective on Pentagon Spending on Wednesday, Oct. 29.
- An academic symposium on “The Book of Job and Brethren Tradition” will be held at Elizabethtown (Pa.) College on Nov. 5, featuring leading Brethren scholars. The registration deadline is today, Oct. 22. Download a registration form from www.etown.edu/SVMC or contact 717-361-1450 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Remembrance for Irven Stern, personnel, Shine calls for curriculum writers, On Earth Peace accepting applications for new anti-racism team, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, change in series of webinars on “Opportunities and Challenges of Post-Christendom,” Ted and Co. to be at Bridgewater, more news from congregations.
- I ask your prayers for these men, for their loved ones stricken with grief, and for the Canadian Armed Forces chaplains who are ministering to them.