July 30, 2014
- NYC 2014: 1) That youth would encounter Christ: A conversation with the NYC coordinators. 2) NYC speakers encourage youth to seek their calling in Christ. 3) NYC enjoys a Brethren Block Party. 4) Reception welcomes international guests and NYC scholarship recipients. 5) Service projects take youth beyond campus borders to share with others. 6) Hiking trips take youth into Rocky Mountain National Park. 7) Blessed on the journey to NYC. 8) NYC bits and pieces. OTHER NEWS: 9) CWS announces efforts...
- Church World Service is involved in an action of civil disobedience at the White House this week, as the Congress and US administration consider expediting deportations of refugee children. Also, CWS has announced a number of ways it is working to aid the refugee children, and is asking supporters to call Congress to urge passage of a “clean” supplemental funding bill responding to the situation of unaccompanied children fleeing violence in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. CWS is a...
- Tucked away in the coordinators’ office at National Youth Conference, Katie Cummings, Tim Heishman, and Sarah Neher took a few minutes to chat with me about the week so far. Between chirps on the walkie talkie and bites of gluten-free oatmeal, they caught me up on their unique perspective of this long-awaited event. We talked about what it has meant to be a part of NYC, and how it will affect their lives on the other side.
- Over the course of six days at National Youth Conference, July 19-24, Brethren youth heard from 10 outstanding speakers who brought messages for morning and evening worship services each day. Here is an review of the messages for NYC 2014, written by NYC News Team volunteer Frank Ramirez:
- On a blisteringly hot Monday, willing volunteers from the 2014 National Youth Conference were spread from the Colorado State University campus beyond to the greater Fort Collins and Loveland areas, working at indoor and outdoor projects.
- Expresses Deep Disappointment with Latin American Ambassador Recall from Tel Aviv
B’nai B’rith International condemns the special release issued by four of the five Mercado Común del Sur (MERCOSUR) members, castigating Israel for “the use of disproportionate force” during its defensive military incursion into the Gaza Strip and insinuating Israel might be guilty...
Kenosha, WI: A joint ministry, from South Carolina to Wisconsin!
Recently, a team of parishioners from the Nativity of the...
- Bits and pieces of info about NYC including links to the daily web pages covering the daily themes and scripture texts, a shout out to the first finishers of the 5K fun run, a “by the numbers” run-down of the conference, and more.
A PC(USA) mission letter from Lithuania (2014 Mission Yearbook for Prayer & Study, p. 313)
July 30, 2014
- In this issue: A correction, remembering CDS leader Anne Haynes Price Fike, resources for a week of prayer and fasting for Nigeria on Aug. 17-24, special events in districts, district conferences, and more.