June 24, 2016
- The Rev. Jisun Kwak of the Greater New Jersey Conference is suspended from work while under complaint.
- 1) On Earth Peace issues response to queries coming to Annual Conference 2) Global Food Initiative announces new name for continuing program, new gardening grants 3) Children’s Disaster Services sends third team to Houston, Orlando team completes service 4) Brethren bits
United Church of Christ General and Minister and President the Rev. John C. Dorhauer, decries Supreme Court ruling on the Obama administration's immigration plan.
The national leadership of the United Church of Christ is celebrating the new national monument status of an LBGT landmark. The Stonewall Inn, in New York's Greenwich Village, has been designated the Stonewall National Monument by President Barack Obama, the first addition to the National Park System honoring the history of the LBGT community.
- Global Food Initiative (GFI) has been announced as the new name for the Global Food Crisis Fund (GFCF). The program of the former GFCF continues under the new name, and with a new logo and a redesigned website.
- “We have another team headed out to Houston, Texas, this week, third one this summer,” reports Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) associate director Kathleen Fry-Miller. “I know the people there are getting very weary of all the flooding and water. I’m so grateful that we have volunteers willing to go.”
- In this issue: Former general secretary of the Church of the Brethren named to staff of the World Council of Churches, Bethany Seminary hires admissions counselor, Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center seeks executive director, BHLA celebrates 200-year legacy of James Quinter, congregations celebrate anniversaries, and more news by, for, and about Brethren.
VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 6/24/16)—During American Baptist Home Mission Societies’ (ABHMS) board of directors meeting Monday through Wednesday, Executive Director Dr. Jeffrey Haggray announced key goals of ABHMS’ strategic plan which seek to:
- impact communities and neighborhoods with the Christian gospel by improving ABHMS’ capacity to share and act on information gathered through collaboration and technology;
- identify significant movements and trends...